Wednesday, May 02, 2007

email sent to a friend giving update

Oh gosh I caught a bad cold and forgot all about updating you. I am sorry. He is much better and the swelling has gone down significantly. I just hope he doesn't end up with scars now. It really looked worse initially than what it actually was because of the bleeding and swelling.

On Monday I didn't have Buzz and Aiden together too much. When I did eventually let Buzz in, Aiden stayed pretty far away on his own accord. He didn't run from Buzz, but he didn't run up and give him love like he usually does. It has been that way since. I think my son learned a huge lesson of respect for the dog. He did rough house once with Buzz and I reminded him that he can't kick the dog or pull the dogs leg just because he is mad at him or Buzzie will bite him. I think we are going to keep Buzz and once our mortgage crap is all sorted out, I am thinking about dog training. We need to nip the food aggression in the bud. I have been a lot harder with Aiden and how he interacts with the dog since. I realize I can't blame the dog for doing what dogs do in their packs. So I am almost better off training Aiden about safety and dogs. We have told him over and over not to hit the dog and not to touch or go ne ar Buzzie while he is eating. For the most part Aiden won't but since Buzzie was eating his food, I think it was natural instinct for Aiden to want to stop him. So we have spent the last couple of days going over the do's and don'ts. Any time food or snacks are out now, the dog goes outside too. I am not risking it any more. You probably think I am nuts to keep the dog and maybe I am, but I wouldn't feel good if I didn't give him one more chance. Buzz has a new found respect for Peter now, since Peter beat the crap out of the dog right after it happened. Before then, Buzzie never listened to Peter, but he sure as heck does now. I myself am torn between training by positive reinforcement and negative consequences. Even when we were house training him, I couldn't just let his peeing on the floor go with out a scolding and a swat, but ofcourse I gave lots of praise when he did go outside. I tried initially to house break with only positive reinforcement and it wasn't working. As soon as I started swatting him and holding him by the scruff of his neck while telling him NO POTTY he stopped peeing and pooping on the floor. He is a very strong willed, stubborn dog. Any ways enough rambling. No worries aobut Aiden he is fine.

No comments: