Thursday, July 06, 2006

Starting a business - Teriyaki

I am pretty excited. I have told Peter all along that he could sell his home made teriyaki sauce. It is his mother's family recipe and she was from Kobe, Japan. When ever he has made this sauce and used it for sweet meat balls, as a marinade for meat, kabobs or as a sauce over rice everyone raves about it and wants a batch to use at home. I told Peter that we ought to get a business license so we can purchase ingredients at wholesale price and I could start canning it and marketing it over the internet. The two most difficult parts would be getting people to initially try it, once they did we would have repeat customers and customers from their family and friends. The next most disfficult part would be how to figure out shipping costs. I know the least expensive way is UPS but I am not sure how they calculate it so I will have to contact UPS for that. We really need to whole sale price for the rice wine that goes into it. It is very expensive retail at the store. Everything else we can get at Sams club for a low price. There is no way this recipe can be imitated or duplicated because it is his own special recipe that makes it unique. Peter isn't as gung ho as I am but I am excited to learn how to make it, design labels and canning it. I wouldn't even mind running a booth at fairs and shows. I am the worst sales person ever but it is that good so it wold sell itself through sampling!! I am not certain how much we should charge for the first batch to get a head start. I do know I want to start off selling 16 oz canning jars. I think that is a good size for everyones, marinated, basting, bbq, stirfry sauce needs. I would also be willing to send off cooking ideas and recipes along with the orders. Many businesses start off in their own kitchens. Most bussiness' fail with in the first year but we won't know until we try.

2 comments:

Derek said...

Cool...good luck! I hope it succeeds. Can't hurt to try!

Reg said...

Thanks a lot. I have spent all morning calculating fees for pay pal and shipping UPS etc.